Sustainable Banking - strategy and goals
Swedbank’s sustainability strategy is based on the bank’s vision, values and purpose. We enable people, businesses and society to grow. We seek to do this in a way that is sustainable in the long-term.
Swedbank’s responsibility for sustainable development starts with the way we do business. We are and shall continue to be a secure bank that does not jeopardise financial market stability through excessive risk taking. Swedbank contributes by being part of the financial infrastructure that is key to a well functioning society.
Sustainability is integrated in our business model and consists of three main areas: Financial sustainability, Social sustainability and Environmental sustainability.
We thereby assure the bank’s fundamental capacity to contribute to economically, environmentally and socially sustainable development in markets where we operate and in society as a whole.
• To continue to be one of the most strongly capitalised and most resilient banks in Europe.
• Invest in the services our customers increasingly require. Especially digital channels and advanced advice.
• While continuing our low risk taking in our operations, increase the profitability that ensures resilient buffers and investment scope to improve service to customers.
• To continue to fine tune our risk models and work towards greater openness and transparency.
Our goal is that the bank in all its banking business – within its organisation and via the provision of loans and asset management – contributes to the development of society, We do this by actively working for human rights, countering corruption in all its forms and by engaging in social challenges, above all in the areas of education, employment and integration.
• Customer satisfaction over 75 per cent in all home markets.
• To increase employees’ likelihood to recommend the bank as an employer.
• To continue our work on implementing issues related to human rights and anti-corruption in the bank with the focus on our fund management, credit processes and procurement processes.
• To continue our work to increase diversity and inclusion in society via the bank’s own operations and in partnership with our customers and various stakeholders in society.
• To help our employees meet their own expectations and those of our customers and society, as well as demands on us as a bank and as a positive factor in the development of society.
• Enable all our employees in our home markets to take an online course in sustainable banking.
• Starting 2013, and thereafter on an annual basis, to report on dialogue related to human rights and anti-corruption when granting credit and in fund management.
Our goal is that the bank in all its banking business within its organisation and via the provision of loans and asset management, contributes to a reduction in the use of the earth’s finite resources and to lower emissions of greenhouse gases.
• To continue to support the more efficient use of resources in all internal processes and in particular to reduce our carbon footprint as regards business travel and energy consumption.
• To continue to develop and apply methods to reduce environmental impact in our fund management, credit processes and procurement processes.
• To develop management systems and measurement methods.
• By the end of 2015, the bank will have reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by 30 per cent, and by the end of 2018 by 40 per cent, compared with our base year 2010.